Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tools to Anticipate the Navigation of an Ever-Changing Industry (Reflections from Chapter 5 and More)

Chapter 5 struck a alot of familiar chords with me, particularly in regards to our current projects promoting awareness about Safe Harbor. Developing relationships with professional and citizen journalists (on the web and in person - page 58) is stressed as being crucial to the success of a developing organization. This summer I was an intern for the Oconee County Chamber of Commerce in Seneca, SC. I was responsible for sending out press releases to a slew of local papers, including the local paper in Seneca. Due to my regular contact with these individuals, I began professional relationships with them that were incredibly beneficial to my completion of various tasks and projects with the Chamber. Today, I sent a press release to my contact, Brett, at the Seneca paper, and he was more than happy to help. I was also able to get in touch with several other contacts from my media list with the intership, and several of them also agreed to run the release. This will aid in our goal of spreading awareness not only to Clemson University students, but also to the surrounding communities. What's more, builidng rapport with local media figures can also lead to additonal connections which may further spread awareness about our client, Safe Harbor.

When my classmates and I were first instructed to research our client, I feel confident that many of us turned to a major search engine such as Google to provide us with information regarding domestic violence statistics and the like. Chapter 5 discusses the impact off the internet on nonprofits in that the majority of information regarding these organizations can be found online in the form of websites, social media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter, and blogs. Safe Harbor has all of these things. Aside from having an incredible impact on individuals' daily lives, the internet is also re-shaping the role of journalism in society. Information comes at a more rapid rate, and news is delivered almost instantaneously. Twitter is now being used by major corporations as a news reel constantly providing and updating information for consumers. I found this article on PR Daily and I found it really interesting. It discusses Google's new position as the third-largest social network, and what this status means for the future images of corporations around the world.

Check it out:
http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/9627.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment